Tell Congress You REJECT Education Funding Cuts!
ACTION TYPE: Email U.S. Congress
Reject Extreme Cuts in the House of Representatives Funding Bill
Dear Member of Congress,
As your constituent and someone who cares deeply about public education and ensuring the residents of New York state have strong, supported communities, I strongly urge you to reject the extreme cuts proposed in the House of Representative’s funding proposal and reject the proposal gutting Title I.
Our public schools are welcoming communities where students can thrive and receive a well-rounded education that starts with literacy and continues with providing the programs, services and pathways students need to succeed. This requires funding and investment, not cuts to the vital programs our students need.
If this House of Representatives' educational funding bill were to succeed, it would:
- Cut Title I funding by 80 percent, which could gut all programs for poor kids in America, including forcing a nationwide reduction of 220,000 teachers from classrooms serving low-income students;
- Eliminate programs for English language learners (Title III), supports for teachers (Title II-A), social and emotional learning grants, Promise Neighborhoods and magnet schools;
- Cut funding for community schools — schools that serve not just students but their families;
- Decimate funding for job training, cancer research, mental health initiatives, addressing the opioid crisis, eliminating HIV/AIDS and more; and
- Cut programs to support maternal health and eliminating programs that provide contraception and health services.
This is not what our communities need. Accordingly, I urge you to reject these cruel, extreme and out-of-touch cuts to these important programs and services.
Thank you for your consideration of this important matter. I look forward to a reply to my e-mail.
(c) 2023 NYSUT
Find My Elected Officials
Get MAC Phone App